B.Arch, M.Phil, MRIAI, MRTPI, MIPI, IHBC.
Personal Assistant : Margaret Hanlon
Cormac is a Graduate of UCD School of Architecture and holds a Master of Philosophy Degree in Urban Design and Regional Planning from Edinburgh University.
Cormac is a Member of the Irish Planning Institute, The Royal Town Planning Institute, the Institute of Historic Building Conservation and the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland.
Cormac’s special interests as an Architect/Planner are on longer term projects involving Masterplanning, Urban Design, Mixed-Use Development, Development in Architectural Conservation Areas and development affecting Protected Structures.
Cormac is also developing our service to Local Authorities and Statutory Agencies in Planning, Local Area Plans and aspects of Development Plan Reviews. He is currently a member of Kilkenny County Councils Strategic Policy Committee on Infrastructure, Transportation and Water Services.
A selection of Cormac’s completed projects:-
In former public service with Kilkenny County Council, Dundee City Council and Irish 'APSO':-
- Urban design input to urban renewal projects in County Kilkenny and significant new greenfield development in Abbeylands, Waterford.
- Area appraisals, character statements and development objectives for new Architectural Conservation Areas in the Inistioge, Gowran, Freshford and Ballyragget Local Area Plans.
- Development Control; involving Protected Structures and input to Conservation Plans for significant historic projects in Kilkenny, Callan and Inistioge.
- Tay Square, new civic plaza at the Repertory Theatre, Dundee (commended project in the 1997 Scottish Office “Quality in Planning” Awards).
- The Urban Design Strategy for the City of Dundee (Policy Guidance for Development Control).
- First Development Plan for the Great Banjul Area (The Gambia, West Africa).
- (1992) “Urban Conservation in Banjul, the Gambia” in Open House International Volume 17, No’s. 3 and 4.
A selection of Cormac’s current projects:-
- “Kilcreene Village” – a mixed use urban regeneration scheme for 10.5 hectares brownfield site in Kilkenny with James O’Donoghue.
- Residential / commercial scheme for 16 hectares of Greenfield land as a new neighbourhood in Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny.
- Land use Plan and Development Strategy for 26 hectares of Greenfield land at Ayresfield incorporating the new Kilkenny Inner Relief Road and part of the new Loughmacask Village Centre.
- Lyrath Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre – Phase II with James O’Donoghue.
A recent completed project:-
- Temporary Courthouse Facilities (3 – 5 yrs) at Barrack Street, Kilkenny for the Courts Service.
Cormac provides assistance to colleagues in the practice where projects have special Planning, Masterplanning or Urban Design considerations and coordinates Bord Pleanala submissions on behalf of our clients.
Collaboration with other Firms and External Referrals from Colleagues
Cormac accepts referrals from Colleague Architectural, Engineering & Surveying Firms, Law Firms and others in relation to his areas of expertise. Examples include:-
- Appeal submissions to An Bord Pleanala.
- Submissions to Planning Authorities arising from Further Information Requests,
- Third Party Observations
- Expert Opinion in the context of Litigation arising from Planning, Development and Environmental issues.
Back to Bluett O'Donoghue Team Leaders